Friday 4 July 2008

Selling Images

I've had a lot of positive feedback about my photos from flickr, and even I think that some of my photos are quite nice. So the other day I decided I might as well see if I can make some money, as I think that's a really good motivator. I mean it's easy to say a picture is nice, whereas to actually put you hand in your wallet and say a picture is good I think adds more weight to it.

So I added some images to ImagKind, although that's more of a fine art place and it's quite expensive to have a canvas made so I'm not entirely convinced I'm good enough for that yet. I also signed up for iStockPhoto, which is a microstock library. Images there are as little a $1 each, so I think I'm more likely to see some sales. But as they only pay me a percentage, it will of course only be cents at first. Until I can build up a large enough portfolio of stock, which would probably take at least a year if I could theoretically upload pictures at their maximum rate and have 100% acceptance rate. So probably not then. But pence is better than nothing I guess.

But I did like the fact that I had to pass a 10 question test, and submit 3 images for review before they accepted me. That felt nice to get through. Maybe everyone that applies gets through I don't know, but it still feels nice to believe I have been judged and passed.

This weekend I'm hoping to have some more pictures for upload but the weather is forecast to be so terrible I really don't know.

No comments: