Thursday 25 September 2008

Maximum Inefficiency

Pixie has joined a choir recently, so she decided it would be a good idea if she could have a piano to play some of the music she needs to sing. Play it in the right key and all that. I've always wanted to play myself actually, so I didn't object when she suggested. And indeed we both agreed upon a rather nice new Yamaha electric piano. It has graded keys, which are apparently like weighted keys but don't have weights in them so the whole thing is much lighter. And brand new it was only about £150 which is what we'd be happy to pay for a decent one on eBay. So we found the keyboard we wanted, added the mains power supply (because Yamaha don't actually include one with the keyboard), and added a book because we are complete novices when it comes to music. Well me more so because I am not the one in a choir.

The place we found it for sale was actually only in Bristol. At first I was quite happy to collect it myself if we ordered, but they only charged £6 for UPS which is probably cheaper than it would cost me to drive there and back anyway. So sure, let's have it delivered.

Trouble is, apparently the keyboard isn't in stock, so they have decided to part ship. On Tuesday, the mains power supply came in a small box. Via UPS. Today this arrived, again by UPS, in its own box. I'm half expecting them to ship the keyboard in parts too, maybe black keys in one box, white in another etc.

I don't really mind the wait, I'd happy to wait a week if the item is not in stock, I understand there is a certain cost implication for holding stock of electronic items that could be superceeded tomorrow. But surely there is a better way to ship it?

2 comments:

GwynF said...

And if you need any other music books, my sister works in Gillian Greig...

Nostromoo said...

Thanks Gwyn, didn't even know the place existed to be honest. I was quite disappointed by West Side in town, so I shall pop in and see what they have.