Sunday 28 September 2008

Running

I started running again last week, and this morning I was out in the mist trying to get a few miles in. I "ran" a little over two miles, I was hoping for more, but it's definitely above the curve I'm trying for. My breathing felt much better, and managed to keep my heart rate over 170 without feeling like I wanted to die, but the problem was my legs. About half way I started getting really bad cramps and the lactic acid was really burning. I stretched a bit at the half way point and tried to recover a little before tuning back for home, but I had to do a large proportion of walking on the return trip.

Last year I was hoping to do the Taunton Half Marathon. I started my training last November and I think I was doing some quite respectable distances given the fact hippos don't normally run all that well. But at Christmas I had some awful illness which knocked me out, literally, for two months. After that I was never able to recover my fitness enough to be able to carry on training, so I just let it lapse.

Hopefully I can keep it up and join the running club (in what November?) and see if I can get some fitness and lose a bit of weight to boot. I think the Taunton Half is around April time next year so hopefully I can be ready for it.

No comments: