Sunday 12 October 2008

Running

Aaarg, what a run. Well for me anyway. Last week I resolved to walk into work twice, so Wednesday and Thursday I did. Monday I had to give Pixie and lift and Tuesday it was raining and on Monday I had left my coat in the office. Friday I had to be in work for 5am as we were travelling up to Leeds.

So I walked in on Wednesday and Thursday. It's just shy of 2.5 miles each way the route I take, so it was pretty good exercise. Then on Saturday I had to pop into town to get Tahini paste so I walked then too. I reckon I've walked about 13 miles this week.

This morning I woke up fresh. Yesterday I didn't, I was up at 4am, drove over 500 miles and didn't get home until 8pm. I was tired on Saturday.. But today I was fresh and decided to go out for a little early morning run.

It was actually an amazing feeling. Today I was actually running! I didn't get to the corner puffing and panting requiring medical assistance, I kept on running. I kept on running past the sports centre, past the shops, past the park. It was almost like a Forrest Gump moment, until nearly a mile later I did stop. Now you might think that 1 mile is pretty poor, but then you might also not find size 36 inch jeans tight (I swear the reason is Pixie shrank them in the wash).

The pause was only brief however and I managed a really good distance before I decided to walk a little way. By that time though it was hard to keep my heart rate under 180, even on gentle inclines, which I don't really want at this stage. So it was a bit of run walk trying to stay in the 160-180 zone.

In the end I managed 3.5 miles in 43 minutes, with an average heart rate of 165. According to Map My Run I burnt about 600 calories which sadly in context is only about 9 Jacobs Fig Rolls. So I can eat another 7 and still feel good about myself. Yay!

Will have to see if I can keep up the resolve next week and build up the miles.

No comments: