Friday 15 August 2008

Photographing Food


Good food
Originally uploaded by Nostromoo
Photographing food can be a tricky job, if you want it to look good. Pixie made a really gorgeous Chinese Stir-Fry last night and I tried to take a picture. But the food was plated up and I was eager to eat it before it got cold, so I didn't really want to hang around while I setup my lighting gear. But see, without it the food just looks like, well brown mush on rice. The food was so good I could eat it every day, but this picture just wouldn't even make me read the recipie.

Anyway we've been watching Ching-He on BBC2 lately, in her "Chinese Food Made Easy" show. This is worth note alone, given the amount of TV we watch, or don't as the case may be.

Pixie decided to make a Chicken and Cashew Stir Fry. She hardly even let me "help" she was so inspired! Anyway, it was so, so good. We did our rice like this and the cashew and toasted sesame worked so well together.

Next time, oh there will be a next time, I'll get lighting setup before the food is ready and capture it and eat it while it's still hot. But for now this will just have to serve as a reminder of how not to photograph food.

1 comment:

GwynF said...

Aye, food photography is an art in itself. Good luck with the challenge.

I was listening to Jonathon Ross interview Ching-He the other day she seems to know her stuff practice makes perfect and all that. Cheers!